Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Dusty storms

Last night we both woke up by the sounds of banging doors and windows: storm! This is supposed to be a sign of the coming rain season in Sudan, but (at least in Khartoum) the only thing that was seen today was dust,..a lot of dust! These dust storms are called 'haboob' in Arabic and they come with a surprising strength. The dust literally goes into places you wouldn't imagine; even the pages of the books inside my bag (that was standing inside a room at the University) were dusty. Somehow the dust creeps through all holes and cracks in the walls. I even couldn't get the song 'Dust in the wind' out of my head! When I got home I opened the door and I felt that the door was resisting. When I peeped around the corner I saw my appropriate welcome-home-present: a big pile of dust!