Monday, June 18, 2012

Beauty secrets

When I think of Dutch beauty salons, I think of nice smells, peaceful instrumental music, individual care and complete relaxation. I can assure you, a visit to a Sudanese 'salon' is a complete different experience. I was invited by a sister of one of Franks colleagues; she said that I had to go there for a 'Henna treatment'. Only married women are allowed to have a henna tattoo, since it symbolises fertility (I only heard that afterwards by the way). Entering the gloomy small building gave me an idea of entering a different world; uncountable laughing, chatting, shouting, sleeping, Koran-reading, gossiping women busy with their hair, skin waxing, permanent make-up and of course henna. All packed in the same room. While the henna was being done on my feet, I had several 'coaches' who gave me different advice on which pattern of the henna should be applied on what foot. After three hours I left the building with a henna tattoo to everyone's satisfaction, with a promise that I had to come back soon,.. for my hands.