Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Oranges and football


There is a thin line between fruit and football. At least, that seems to be the case here in Khartoum. Yesterday I walked along the side of the road and passed several fruit stalls and their salesmen. The oranges looked extremely juicy and, with the afternoon sun still shining brightly and happily, I decided to buy some of these nicely looking fruits to ease my thirst. The salesman put a couple of oranges in a plastic bag and asked me where I was from. I expected, the next step was to talk about the price of the oranges, but as soon as he heard which country I was from, he started smiling and naming all the Dutch football players he knew. “But best one is the man with little hair!” he said determinedly. He said he couldn’t recall his name, so I guessed it could be ‘Robben’. This apparently was the right guess because he started smiling. After I had paid, he put an extra orange in my bag and winked his eye: “I hope your orange team will win the Germans tomorrow!”