Saturday, June 16, 2012

Hands, hugs or kisses

The other day, one of the male colleagues had his final working day at the main office in Khartoum. After he'd packed everything he took his time to elaborately say goodbye to everyone. Instead of the formal 'handshake' which is used very commonly here, I noticed that now it was time for the 'big hugs', since he started hugging his other male colleagues as dear old friends. I am sure you have all had a greeting experience where you weren't really sure what the right cultural code was. Now it was my time; I took the chance and gave him a big hug too (which clearly seemed to be suitable). When someone asked me how people greet each other in my country, I said that there are different ways: handshakes, hugs and/or three kisses on the cheeks. This last option made the men burst into laughter. "Oh no", said one of them, "my wife would kill you!"