Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Pens and swords

"Ahh, you are going to Kassala?", asked one of the drivers when I told him I might be travelling to the eastern side of Sudan  next week. 'In Kassala the men dress differently!", he said while his hands showed how the men there tend to fold their head scarf. "And, he added while smiled mysteriously, "the men there wear swords!". I must have looked amazed, because he started laughing loudly. But he told me not to worry. "The men don't use these swords, but they just like to carry it around", he said. I can imagine that these men look quite impressive with their accessories, but the thought of men carrying a fighting tool around for fun, is not something that eases my mind instantly. Fortunately, the driver assured me straight away: "To them it is something like carrying a pen in their chest pocket and that's also very normal, so no problem".