Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Coffee chats

While waiting outside one of the office buildings in town, Mohamed (one of he drivers) and I sat down for a nice glass of traditional coffee. We chose two small colourful seats next to the coffee lady, who instantly burned some nice smelling incense for us to chase away the mosquito's. While we sat there in the cool shade of the tree, a young Sudanese man walked up to me and asked: "Do you know Daniel?". I told him that I didn't know anyone named Daniel here in Sudan. "Oh, I thought you might know him because he is also a khawaga", he continued. I said I was very sorry but that I really don't know him. "He is American and he is teaching English here in Sudan! I have been to America too, but now I am studying here". I asked the friendly young man where and what he was studying. While he smoothly ordered some coffee for himself he answered: "I study English". He pointed at the house on the other side of the street. "Whenever I look outside my window and see a foreigner on the street, I come outside to practice English and drink some nice coffee". It surely sounds like an effective and tasteful way of learning a new language!