Monday, February 4, 2013

Sudanese globalism

Sudan is one of Africa's biggest countries and with a population of approximately 26.000.000 people it could be called a well represented nation. I have realized though that a relatively high number of Sudanese people are actually not living in Sudan any more, but elsewhere in the world. A few days ago, we were invited for lunch by our friend's family, and their family story confirmed this global phenomenon. "My brother lives in the The Netherlands", the man of the house started. We answered that it was such a coincidence, since we are also from The Netherlands. "And my other brother lives in England", he added. Before we could even react to that, he continued with his enumeration: "And I have one brother in the United States, and another one in Germany. And me and my other brother have lived in France". After he had explained that his younger brother was married to a Chinese woman, and that his children were attending the international French School in Khartoum, we almost lost track of all the international family influences. Talking about Sudanese globalism!