Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Smooth arms

Here in Sudan I have become conscious of things I never used to pay attention to. My arms, for example. I always used to see them as normal, useful parts of my body and I never considered them to be the major point of interest when it comes to beauty treatments. This is totally the opposite situation here; most women can't imagine themselves neglecting their arms or should I say the hair on their arms. I found out that here are various methods to remove the excessive arm hair. The wax methods, with the use of self-made, natural wax is the most common one here. But last night we saw an advertisement on the TV where a special 'arm razor' was also highly commented on by the several happy looking women with extremely smooth arms. Looking at my own light blond hair on my arms I consider myself fortunate, but based on the many arm-hair removal invitations I have received since I came to Sudan, I start to realize that there is no compromise here: all arm hair needs to go! I have decided to think about it, since it is not nice to keep rejecting all the invitations. But, maybe I might just go for the option of wearing long sleeves after all!