Sunday, November 11, 2012

Army of ants

Where they come from and where they go to, I never understood; ants, and especially the Sudanese ones, are mysterious little animals. They look harmless, but today I discovered that they are indeed capable to achieve a lot in their big trained armies. While I had just poured my cup of green tea, I felt like eating a ginger biscuit and opened the new packet I had bought especially in Khartoum last week. We normally always put our 'sweets' in the fridge, but somehow I forgot about these interesting black, little creatures. I walked down the stairs while nibbling on my ginger biscuit and I was already looking forward to take the next one. But, as soon as I had greeted the guard downstairs and went up again, I saw there was something wrong: a strong army of energetic, determined ants were trying to confiscate my cupboard! And when I opened the small door, I couldn't believe my eyes. Within a few minutes hundreds of ants had come from 'somewhere' and were happily eating from, climbing on, and taking away my lovely ginger biscuits from Khartoum! It took quite a few exciting minutes before I conquered this special hard-working army, but eventually I managed to 'rescue' my biscuits. I do admire these forces of ants, but next time I'd rather keep them away from my kitchen!