Thursday, February 21, 2013

Perceptions

I always find it interesting to discover the different perceptions of people on the same topic or theme. 'Life in Khartoum' is one of the topics that tends to produce extremely diverse views and perceptions from people who have lived here a while. Yesterday I visited the gym and spoke to some women who all had different ideas about the Sudanese capital: "Khartoum is sooo depressing!", said one. While another one commented: "It is such a safe city with a nice atmosphere. I don't want to live anywhere else!". One of the women argued the opposite and said she has never felt so unsafe in her life. Others said that their week is too short to fill it with all the activities they want to and can do in Khartoum. "Really?", others commented surprisingly, "I am so bored of sitting at home all the time, because I can't find any nice activities here!" I guess it shows that perceptions on Khartoum are simply as variable as the weather. At least, as the Dutch weather, because the weather here in Khartoum is always hot. Although....some people have a different opinion on that...