Sunday, January 27, 2013

Plastic tree

Sudan and The Netherlands are, in many ways, two completely different worlds. Me and a Sudanese friend of mine keep amazing ourselves and each other about the different contexts we come from. Mostly the amazement comes from my side; a lot of the aspects from her Sudanese lifestyle are generally completely new to me. But today, it was the other way around. I was upstairs doing some work, when she knocked on my door and told me that she wanted to show me something strange. I walked with her to the office garden until she stopped in front of one of the trees. "Feel this!", she said, while holding one of the leaves in front of me. "This tree is not normal. It feels like it is not real!" she stated while touching the texture of the leaf. I couldn't help smiling and I said that this type of tree (-it appeared to be some sort of coniferous tree-) is really well-known in Europe. Probably, the former owner of our office building planted it a few years ago to create some sort of exotic garden. But my friend didn't seem to be impressed by this exotic tree type:"Very strange, these plastic trees!"