Thursday, January 31, 2013

Different connections

Sudan is not the only country where family members are allowed to marry each other. But this is the first country for me to see it happening so often. It actually seems to be the rule, rather than the exception in some parts of the country. The reasons for this 'tradition' have not been been very clear to me. Some people say it has to do with religion, others say it is just a way for people to survive as families; marrying your cousin means that the money stays in the family instead of disappearing into the hands of another family. I guess it also makes the wedding planning slightly easier; you only have deal with the wishes of one family. Although, I am getting more used to the concept here, it is still strikes me to know that  practices in one country, can be strictly forbidden by law in another country. I guess it is all about different conceptions and connections..