Monday, December 10, 2012

Roles and rules

A portrait of a Sudanese woman
Last weekend, the wife of one of the guards dropped by to say hello. It was an unexpected visit, but nevertheless a welcoming one. Although she doesn't speak English and my Arabic language skills are not sufficient enough for an in-depth conversation, we somehow manage to understand each other. Since the first time I saw her, I have realized that she is actually one of the many Sudanese women with a lot of potential. Because of many external reasons, she never seem to have had the chance though to fulfil her ambitions. The conversations I have had with her husband have been interesting, and it has surely given me an insight in the roles and rules in their household. When I explained him, while trying not to sound too moralistic, that women have the same rights as men, he shook his head: "Women should be in the house with the children and only do cooking, sleeping and not talk too much". I am sure his wife could understand what he was saying to me, despite the fact that she doesn't speak English. Without waiting for my reaction he continued: "I will give you some money so you can buy me another wife in Holland!" By the way he started laughing I knew, or at least I hoped, that this was no serious proposition. I think this man would have a very hard time with a Dutch emancipated woman in his house. But I can imagine his wife wouldn't mind some extra support..