Sunday, December 9, 2012

Let the band play!

In a place like Kosti it is important that you somehow organize entertainment yourself, since there are no theatres, cinemas, or other venues to spend your free time and relax. Fortunately, weddings are being celebrated here every other day, so in a way there is always a place to go to when you feel like having a good time outside of the house.  Unlike most weddings in Holland, there is no guest list, table setting or formal day schedule for the weddings here. Whether you know the bride and groom or not, everyone here is always welcome to share a little dance and or to chat with the other guests. Most of the weddings take place in a large tent in the middle of the sandy road, which by itself is already a welcoming gesture I think. But the special music band definitely always plays the biggest role in creating a positive, festive mood for everyone! Good musicians in Kosti are scarce though, so the chance is high that you will find the same band providing musical entertainment for 7 weddings in one week. Last week we went to a wedding and I have to say that I was really impressed by the band and the unexpected instruments they were playing (-from saxophone to bongo drums-). On our way back home I told Frank about my positive impression of this band and that I would like to hear them again one day. I didn’t have to wait too long, because the next day I recognized the singer’s voice and the high pinched saxophone through our kitchen window.  Apparently they were playing at another wedding close-by. And two days later, I heard them again while I was outside in the garden! Now, one week later I have heard them so often that I can join in with some of the songs and I have started to recognize the saxophone solos. I think I might go for another wedding soon, if it was just for enjoying more of these musical sounds. Let the band play!