Friday, December 21, 2012

Look-a-like

The number of 'khawagas' (white foreigners) living in the Kosti region is not very high: 2 people in total, which includes Frank and myself. It is therefore not always possible to move around Kosti town and the surrounding communities without being noticed. Both children and adults are always happy to come and greet you with a gentle handshake and some questions about our well-being. "Kef? Tamam? Mia-mia?" - "How are you? Fine? Everything 100%?" Simultaneously, my skin, eyes and hair always seem to undergo a thorough observation, from a distance or close-by. Yesterday, I  was able to drop by one of the First Aid courses in a nearby community and again I was very warmly welcomed by the children, teachers and community workers. After I had entered the small reed-made building where the course had taken place some the participants started giggling,  especially when I shook hands with one of the community leaders. This friendly albino man had the same colour hair and skin as I did, due to a lack of pigment in his body. Everyone present seemed to be very excited to see us together and said that now he was not the only 'khawaga' in the village any more. "You two are look-a-likes!" someone said, while clapping his hands. "One village khawaga and one Holland khawaga!", someone else added. Unlike many other African communities, there clearly seemed to be a general positive, non-discriminatory attitude towards this different looking man. Indeed, they were very proud and happy to present their beloved community member as my brand new relative. As far as I am concerned, he is very welcome to be part of it. Meet my new Sudanese twin brother!