Saturday, December 22, 2012

Christmas spirit

Although it is the 22nd of December, it is hard to imagine that Christmas is actually approaching. Here in Kosti there are no signs that come close to providing a Christmas atmosphere. The market stalls and small supermarkets offer their regular products; no Christmas songs are heard on the street or radio; people are not busy spending money on Christmas presents, and people are far from worried what to wear these coming days. Since Christmas is not celebrated here, all people will actually consider the 26th and 25th as 'normal working days'. The owner of one of the small supermarkets told me he had seen a Christmas film once and he said it had made him wonder how people in Holland celebrate this annual festival. After I had given him a brief impression, he looked at me and smiled. "So it is all about food, clothes and presents?" I couldn't fully deny it, but I replied that the actual idea behind it is the underlying Christmas spirit of lucidity and solidarity. He nodded to show he understood. While I left his friendly, modest shop he waved at me and concluded: "There might not be any Christmas things for you here in Kosti, but we at least have plenty of this spirit!"