Saturday, September 1, 2012

Night swimming

Sometimes the nights here can bring some unexpected surprises. A few nights ago, I woke up in the middle of the night. I felt like drinking a glass of water, so I gently put my feet outside the mosquito net which is permanently hanging above our bed. While my first foot touched the floor, I was still half asleep. But it only took a split second for me to be completely awake: I was standing up to my ankles in the water! The night rain had come through the spaces underneath the doors and windows. While we were fast asleep, the water had slowly filled both our bedroom and living room floor. It looked like a perfect opportunity for a true indoor night-swimming activity! Although it was tempting, we finally decided to just get rid of our excessive floods. After spending more than an hour on hands and knees, using all our sheets, blankets and towels to absorb the water, we were able to continue our well-deserved sleep. I obviously didn't need my glass of water anymore ;)