Sunday, September 2, 2012

Figures

Here in Sudan, it is no secret that ‘a little bit of extra meat’ on a woman’s body is considered more beautiful than a skinny twig. Some of the women I have spoken to here in Kosti, explained to me that about a month before her wedding, a woman is even being fed as many fat products as possible in order for her to gain some weight for the wedding night. It also became clear to me that not all women are happy with that particular cultural custom. Last week, I visited a local ‘gym’ for women (-that by the way doesn’t in any way look like the gym you are imagining now-). There were 5 women there, who welcomed me very kindly and observed me from top to toe. “We are very happy you have come to visit us in our small gym! But what are you doing here? You are not fat like us!” They all shared their stories of gaining weight after marriage and the fact that it all started with this particular feeding-month before the wedding. “At first, my husband wanted me to be fat, but when I became too fat and started to get medical problems, he told me he wants to marry a second woman! So, I visit the gym now and hope to lose some weight!” I  straight away felt a feeling of injustice, but the women assured me that these kinds of statements from men, really motivate them to work on their health and figure. While the tape in the small ghetto-blaster played the 90’s beats it had obviously played many times before, the women were jumping up-and-down on the colourful carpets. The scale was standing in front of them, ready to be stood on at the end of the session. All together this gym and these determined women really made me feel like visiting again and join in. If it was just to coach them on their weight-loss journey..