Sunday, July 1, 2012

Plane spotting

Some people love to look at (aero)planes; they will do whatever they can to find exactly the right position and angle to be able to see the different planes landing and taking off. Well,..for these people Khartoum would be paradise! The international airport of Khartoum is namely located in the middle of town! (see: city map of Khartoum). So from early morning until late evening, and all time in between, you can see, hear and feel (!) the different planes arriving and departing. Last week I visited the National Council for Literacy which is located very close to one of the airstrips. During our meetings we were obliged to take a short break whenever a plane would fly over, because it would be impossible to actually hear each other. One of the participants asked me if I had ever touched the wheels of a plane. I said no and asked him why. He assured me that if I would stand on my toes on the rooftop of the building, I would be able to touch them with my hands. An interesting offer, but I think I prefer to spot them from a distance..