Monday, July 2, 2012

Friends in the Souq

The curtain section of Souq Al-Shabi
"Souq Al-Shabi is the place to be!" This is what my colleague decisively said, when I asked her where we could find the fabric that is needed for one the children's games in Kosti. There are plenty of 'Souqs' (markets) in Khartoum, but she couldn't wait to show me her favourite one. A few minutes after we had entered the Souq, I was happy that I wasn't there by myself; I would have lost my way in the maze of all the market stalls! We started our search for the special ('parachute') fabric and we asked everyone around. The first man said he didn't sell it, but he was sure that his friend a few meters ahead would sell it. So, with good hopes we went there and asked the same question. He was very sorry he didn't have it in his collection, but he assured me that his friend around the corner definitely sells it. So, we proceeded. The next salesman looked at us for some time, frowned his eyebrows and knew for sure that his best friend on the other side of the Souq would give us a good price...Two hours later, we still hadn't find the right fabric but we surely had a nice time strolling over the market area. And one thing is for sure..even for making friends, Souq Al-Shabi is the place to be!