Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Party eggs

The end of the year is approaching and therefore it is a common topic of conversation these days. Apparently, new year's eve is generally not celebrated as elaborately as the religion celebration days, like Eid. But according to a friend of mine, some people here at least tend to do 'something' to celebrate this special night and the start of the new year. Somehow, the word 'something' had triggered me and I asked her what this 'something' was. "Well", she said, "they just throw eggs at each other." She said it in such a way that it was the most common thing to do, but I couldn't help bursting into laughter. "They do what? Throwing eggs?", I replied. "Yes, I don't know how this has become a tradition, but some people just do it like that." I pictured myself walking happily on the street during new years and suddenly being attacked by flying eggs from all different corners. I smiled and said that it's maybe for the best that Frank and I will be spending new years eve back in The Netherlands. Fireworks and bonfires are one thing, but I assured her that I had never heard of people throwing eggs at each other to officiate the beginning of a new year. She started smiling and admitted that this throwing egg activity does have it downsides: "The egg battle can be fun, but once you reach your home you are just soooo smelly!"