Monday, November 19, 2012

Sugar surprise

There are a couple of sugar factories here in the White Nile State of Sudan, where the sugar canes are being processed into lovely sweet sugar. And, seeing how many teaspoons of sugar end up in each cup of tea or coffee here in Sudan, I can say that there is definitely a need for sugar here! Besides the sugar, we found out that these factories also produce something else. Yesterday morning, I opened the door to the balcony to take a look at the lush, green garden with beautiful flowers. The moment I wanted to step on the balcony I saw something had changed; the floor was covered with black ashes and small burned pieces that I couldn't determine. I assumed it was the result of the grass burning activities of one of the neighbours. As soon as I realized I wasn't dreaming I took the broom and tried to sweep all the ashes to one side of the balcony. The wind made this an aimless activity though and I just left it for what it was. When I went downstairs to say good morning to the rest of the staff, I heard that they were also talking about it and the people who live close to the office said that their gardens were also covered with small black burned pieces. I had become really curious where this was coming from, because this couldn't possibly just be the grass burning activities of the neighbour. Everyone was resolute and answered the same: the sugar factory! From the way they said it I could conclude that this has occurred before and that everyone somehow accepts to have these small black ashes in their gardens and houses once in a while. I have to say, that instead of these black ashes I would prefer to find some sugar on my balcony! That would be an even more pleasant surprise!