Friday, September 21, 2012

Dressing up

Children wearing traditional clothes
There is a saying in Dutch which states that clothes 'make' the man. In English one would say 'fine feathers make fine birds' which basically means the same. I don't know the exact translation in Arabic, but I am sure there must be a similar saying or wisdom, since the traditional clothes here look very nice! On various occasions people have shown their costumes proudly to me, while convincing me that I have to ask my husband to buy me Sudanese clothes from now on. Whether I feel like it or not, women love to 'dress me up' in their traditional Sudanese tops. Yesterday, one of the cleaning ladies from the office came upstairs and I noticed the suppressed smile on her face while greeting me. Her hands were behind her back and as soon as she stood in front of me she showed the mysterious item she had been hiding. "You wear this and then photo for Mister Frank!!" she said while excitedly pointing at the Sudanese dress she was holding. I instantly had to stop what I was doing and surrender to the mannequin activities that followed. The other cleaning lady had also arrived and happily joined in. Only after they had agreed on the way the material had to be put around my shoulder, the photo shoot could begin. Since one of them clearly had some difficulties to aim the camera in the right direction, more shoots were taken from the furniture and floor of our house. But eventually the photo was taken and proudly shown to Frank as soon as he came upstairs. It was indeed a nice dressing-up intermezzo, to probably be continued: "After the weekend, I bring other colour to try for you!"