Friday, August 10, 2012

Stop and share

Sometimes a problem solves itself before it even starts to be a problem. While I was finally travelling to Kosti yesterday evening, the time for prayers and Ramadan breakfast was commencing. I was wondering what the driver wanted to do, because we were driving through a deserted area and there was no food at hand. I asked the friendly driver what he wanted to do; he just smiled and said "Mafi Muskulah - No problem!". I was feeling a bit guilty that he was driving me instead of spending this special time of the day with his family and friends. But, at that very moment, he stopped the car on the side of the road. Straight after that, a man appeared from one of the mud-made houses and he invited us to share the meal with him and his fellow villagers. While the driver sat down on the floor with the men he had never seen before, I was lead to a space behind the small mud-house where the women and children had gathered. Most of them had probably never seen anyone looking like me, so you can imagine their smiles and curious faces! Without even being able to speak each others language we shared the meal together and had nice hands-and-feet conversations. I have no idea what I have eaten exactly, but sometimes it's better not to know too many details anyway. After some time, the man who'd invited us initially, came to fetch me and brought me back to the car. Like nothing ever happened the driver and me continued our travels. "Mafi Muskulah!" Here is Sudan it is definitely not a matter of 'stop and stare', but 'stop and share!'