Thursday, August 16, 2012

Making deals

Going to the market is a very common daily activity for most people here in Kosti. The market is relatively small (compared to the souqs in Khartoum) and in a way also systematically organized. You can buy your fruit at the fruit stalls, your vegetables at a vegetable stall, your clothes at the clothes market and your household articles in another market department. What makes it extra interesting is the fact that there are no fixed prices, so you can imagine it is all about making the right deal together. While I was strolling over the market with one of Frank's colleagues (who-by the way- is a star in bargaining!) I tried to explain how 'our' supermarkets and shopping malls are organized. I told her that almost everything is available in one big shop and all products have fixed prices. After I had finished my explanation, without even mentioning the phenomenon of internet shopping, she shook her head and smiled. "But what is the fun of shopping when everything is made so easy?". I guess she has a point..