Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Curiosity

My colleague and I were enjoying a nice refreshing ice-cream outside one of the ice cream stalls in Khartoum. As soon as we sat down on one of the boulders, a few children approached us. Initially they held their hands up without even looking at us. Suddenly one of the children noticed that I looked different than all the other people present. My colleague started smiling when she heard the conversation the girls were having in Arabic: "This woman doesn't have a colour! I think she is from North-Sudan. No! She is from East-Sudan, I think! Maybe we can braid her hair? How many dots does she have on her arm? Why doesn't she speak Arabic?". Within no-time several children had gathered around us, curious to hear more about this strange, new person. I answered their curious questions and after that we waved them goodbye. It had clearly offered a bit of variety in their daily routine..